It’s officially winter and the cold weather has definitely set in here in Rutherglen!
With Christmas in July just around the corner, dust off your best Christmas sweater and cosy up by the fire next to a glass of Rutherglen red or fortified wine.
Why not heat up the oven and prepare a slow roast lamb for a truly Aussie twist on the Christmas Turkey? Recipe below.
- 25kg leg of lamb, bone in
- 1 cup Morris of Rutherglen CHM Durif
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic head, cut horizontally
- 1 onion, cut horizontally
- 2-4 rosemary sprigs
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 150c (fan forced).
- Place garlic, onion and rosemary in a metal roasting pan.
- Put lamb leg in pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn over lamb and repeat, then place it so it sits on the garlic and onion.
- Drizzle the lamb with olive oil then pour stock, Morris of Rutherglen CHM Durif and water into the pot.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven and roast 4 ½ hours.
- Remove from oven, turn lamb over and check the meat is tender by tearing gently using a fork.
- Return to oven uncovered for 45 minutes, or until well browned.
- Remove lamb and spoon juices over lamb. Serve with roast vegetables, gravy and salad.
Serves 8 people.
Enjoy this delicious meal with friends over a bottle of Morris of Rutherglen CHM Durif, followed by some dark chocolate and a Rutherglen fortified for dessert. Try: our award-winning Old Premium Rare Muscat. Delicious!